Monday, March 3, 2008

Erin Jackson: Solid Comedy


If you are a black comedian, is it a rule that you have to have jokes about being black? If I had a nickel for every time I heard a black comedian grab the mic at start off with, "You know the thing about black people is..." or, "what white people just don't get is..." well, let's just say I wouldn't be posting my reviews on a free website like a cheapskate who can't afford a domain name. Erin Jackson is a comedian who epitomizes what I've just described. But damn it, as much as those jokes drive me nuts, Erin tells some good ones.


I saw Erin at the DC Improv when she featured for Robert Klein. Her material is driven by her every day experiences. Her tone of voice is just as calm and plain as if she were talking to you on the street. Those two elements combined makes her act very relatable. she gave a solid performance that showed the kind of composure and timing only experienced comics acquire. If nothing else, to say that you featured for Robert Klein gives your resume some credibility. Her website also has pictures of her with some notable comedians like Chris Rock, Christian Finnegan, Brian Regan and Bill Bellamy. In the sea of DC comedians, Erin Jackson is swimming in a little deeper water than everyone else. Check out her website for a full calender of shows coming up in DC, New York and the midwest. By the way, not that I need to tell you this, but Robert Klein was amazing.

No comments: